Wednesday, November 18, 2009

November 16th/Elijah's Morning Routine

Well, I'll admit our Montessori time has taken a back seat in the past few weeks. I do have some rather good excuses--recurring pregnancy nausea and vomitting, family emergency, unexpected babysitting, and the start of a new Wednesday only job...I still feel guilty.

But, it's true, you can't really halt learning. There are learning experiences built into everyday. It's felt a little more "unschooling" around here lately. And while I respect that movement, it hasn't been my goal. Working up to a 3-hour work period 5 days a week has been. And I'm not sure quite where to go from here. I suppose one day at a time.

Elijah's Montessori equipment has still gotten much use over the past few weeks, but not neccesarily in large spans of time. A little here, a little there. And that's better than nothing, right?







Even sometimes with a friend.






But, all in all we do still have a Montessori style home that strives to cater to Elijah's independence.

And, in accordance with that, one of the things we've been working on this week is a new morning routine for Elijah. He seems to be enjoying it, yet drags out some parts (which is perfectly fine by me).

Here's his routine:

-Wake up
-Help mommy make bed
-Potty and brush teeth
-Set own little table with tablecloth and napkin
-Once table is set, mommy brings super porridge (and tv is allowed for one show...I know, I know, not awesome, and perhaps one day I'll find away to do away with this part)



-He is in charge of getting his sippy cup from the bedroom. If he doesn't want to, I don't push it. I clean it out and refill after breakfast (it stays cold and fresh all night, sometimes even still has ice in it)
-When he is done with breakfast and credits roll on the show, the tv gets turned off (if he doesn't turn the tv off, I do...it's important for his closure to turn it off during the credits).
-Elijah brings his bowl and spoon to the kitchen and places it on a dirty dish tray below his clean dishes





-Elijah puts his placemat and napkin in the hamper in his room






(yes, his room needs cleaning)

-Then, we take his pajamas off. Elijah sits on his bed and I give him step by step directions for him to do it himself. His clothes go in his hamper.
-Elijah washes his hands and face. (he may also choose to brush his hair and or teeth, too--he's interested in grooming right now and may spend a great deal of time doing this)



-Elijah picks out a pair of pants and a shirt from his closet.
-Elijah sits on his bed and I talk him through and assist when necessary until his clothes are on.
-Mommy writes a to do list and Elijah sits next to her and "writes" one too






All of this tends to take a GREAT deal of time, perhaps 2 hours. He frequently is simply not ready for the next step but wants to play with me. I tell him I'd love to play with him--when he's ready for the day and all dressed. When he's goofing off and not quite ready, I usually do the things on my morning to do list--load of laundry, shower (during his breakfast/tv time), unload dishwasher, balance checkbook, etc.). So far, I think it's really working for both of us--and I'm excited to see how it will come along over a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment